Thursday, July 27, 2006

Work

Okay so I have had an emotional 2 weeks. I do not feel that I am receiving the recognition that I deserve at my job. I know I should be worried about something so trivial. However I spend about a 1/3 of my day working so it is a big part of my life. That being said I have been thinking about why this is so important to me. I know that I could look at it as a ways to an end and deal with it that way. However I am not like that, I really believe in the things I get involved in. Case in point, if someone were to make disparaging comments about my church, I would get angry. I would because I take ownership. Now I have worked there for about 9 years, and this is not the first time this has happened and I am sure that it will not be the last. What I do know is the comment my boss (who I like) made is the problem. "well, you work in a support role and the people in this group do not see all the good things that you are doing they just remember when something did not work". What the..., I asked him "how is that fair". I should have gone on to point out that each release when installed at a store creates a problem that requires a fix for that program or a update for another.

What has become clear to me over the last few hours is this; why am I looking for validation from a job? I know that sounds simplistic and trite, but really, how much does this job matter in the grand scheme of things. I know that I spend a 1/3 of my day there but why do I spend that much time there? To provide for my loving and caring wife, for my child who is so beautiful, and to support my church who is doing God's work here in Minneapolis. That is it. Sure it is fun when my boss tells me that I should spend the budget, who wouldn't want to order 80 workstations at a time?

Clearly I have to focus on the things that matter and maybe this is God's way of saying, you are done there, I have something so much better in mind for you.

No comments: